Alexander Kostritsyn stunned the poker world by winning the fabulous 2008 Aussie millions, one of the richest poker tournaments in the world today. The youngster, who turned twenty-one in 2008, has never really been tested by the top players in the world of poker until he took on Erik Seidel in the heads-up of the main event at the Crown Casino in Melbourne.
Against all odds the young man overcame one of the foremost poker superstars of the modern era, and winner of 8 WSOP (World Series of Poker) bracelets. What made his win so very admirable is that he was aggressive from the get go, and did not allow Seidel’s reputation and stature deter him from playing smart poker.
The Muscovite has only been playing poker professionally for three years but he has already been in the money in six tournaments. He favours No Limit hold ‘Em, and it shows – all his cash wins have been of that format.
Most of his earlier wins have taken place in his homeland of Russia, but after his Aussie millions coup he has indicated that he would like to play on the EPT (European Poker Tour) in the near future. He has enormous self belief and seems to be following in the footsteps of Russian superstar in the making, Alexander Kravchenko, 2007 WSOP main table stalwart and the first Russian to win the coveted WSTO bracelet.
Kostritsyn’s Poker Cashes
- He came 5th in the Eastern European Poker Championship held at the Shangri-La Casino in Moscow in 2006. His winnings were $4 300.
- He pulled in $950 for his 9th place in the 2006 St Petersburg Open, held at the Golden Garden Casino in St Petersburg.
- He came 10th at the 2006 Korona Russian Poker Championship held at the Korona Casino in his hometown, Moscow. His winning were $1154.
- At the Concord Card Casino in Vienna he claimed the 5th place in the 2007 Spring Poker Festival and went home with $6540 in his pocket.
- He won $8900 for his 3rd place at the 2007 Russian Summer Poker Tournament held at the Asia Casino in Moscow.
- In January 2008 he thrilled the crowds when he took the prestigious main event of the Aussie Millions, claiming AUS$1 650 000 in the process!